Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Box Turtles - (3rd)

Cute box turtles.



A "newborn" turtle, made with Crayola Model Magic air-dry clay.


After the students painted their turtles, skin texture was drawn with black permanent marker on the legs and tail. Students could choose scales, dots, or stripes as textures.

On the backs of the turtles we drew circles of rectangles. To create unity one color
was used to fill in the rectangles.  We then glossed the turtles for a strong finish. I like using
Sax True Flow Tempera Gloss Varnish.



Students created box homes for their clay turtle. Some homes represented outdoor scenes and others were very humanistic indoor scenes. I printed 8 1/2 x 11 heavy paper with fold lines on the copier. The students drew, outlined, and colored these sheets. We then folded the flat drawing into a 3D box. Finally, they named their turtle and wrote it inside the box home.






6 comments:

  1. Love these! What paint did you use and what did you use for the shine? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turtles were fun; the kids treat them like pets. We painted them with tempera cakes, then drew the details with black permanent marker. Finally we glossed them with SAX TRUE FLOW GLOSS TEMPERA VARNISH. Love the Stuff!

      Delete
  2. I love the varnish! What brand of tempera cakes do you use? My brand is dull and not as varied in colors.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Richeson tempera cakes in trays. They come 8 colors to a tray. They last a a few years with heavy use, which is why I use with them. These colors are a bit duller than liquid tempera. The supplied cake color they call violet is actually a magenta or red-violet. I wish it was a true violet. The varnish brightens the colors.

      Delete
  3. This is so cute I can't even stand it! (But turtles are my favorite animals of all time...) I'm writing this into my lesson plans as we speak. This is EXACTLY what my students need. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem with motivating students on this project. Sometimes I have to help a few students form a decent turtle. They tend to make the legs too thin.

      Delete